How to approach voice lessons - 5 questions to ask yourself first.
When considering taking voice lessons it can be quite difficult.
You google “voice coach” or “voice teacher” and immediately 100s of options pop up.
So what should you do or how do you pick the right voice lessons?
To spare you time and money, I have put together 5 questions to ask yourself, to get clear on what you’re looking for.
Answer the following questions, be honest and go into detail:
1) What is my voice lessons goal? What do I want to achieve? This can be anything from becoming a professional speaker to just being able to sing "Happy Birthday" with joy. Get clear about the outcome you seek.
2) Is this a priority in my life? Do I need to give something else up in favor of voice lessons?
We all have a limited amount of time, so if you want to start something new, usually something else has to go. Find a way of understanding how much time you will need to spend on your vocal training.
Hint: If you answered this question with a “No”, maybe this is not the right time for you to start.
3) How would I like to improve my voice? What do I envision to be the most fun for me? We only stick with something that is actually fun to do. Voice lessons don’t have to be tedious. If they are hard work, you won’t stick to them. So what would be fun for you?
- doing voice and breathing exercises that are relaxing
- singing show tunes
- rapping or rhythmic voice exercises
4) How much time (or how many lessons) am I giving myself to achieve this goal? Improving your voice takes practice and practicing takes time. Once you master vocal technique though, you are pretty much done. Unless you're having a lot of fun, then you should carry on.
5) Once you have taken a few lessons, ask yourself the following question: How do I feel after each lesson? Evaluate whether you want to continue to invest time in it. Do you feel empowered or frustrated? There is no point in carrying on doing something that doesn’t make you feel good.
Did you like this post? If you would like to know more about the amazing power of your voice, sign up below to receive my monthly email with useful tips and tricks.